Yerba Mate Is The Next Trending Drink All Over The World
Have you been intrigued by the health benefits of Yerba mate? You are not alone. yerba mate vs coffee benefits has turned into a popular topic and a great conversation starter too. For a complete list of the health benefits of the drink, subscribe to https://www.sdentertainer.com/lifestyle/what-is-yerba-mate-and-why-its-good-for-you/ and receive latest updates in your inbox.
Here’s a little game that we shall play. Let’s assume there are two mugs in front of you. One of them is filled with regular coffee, while the other mug contains Yerba mate. Which would you choose and why? This is no million dollar question. If you are racking your brains and sending your grey cells into an overdrive, stop fretting. Let us take a look the rich history and some of the benefits of Yerba mate.
About Yerba Mate
Yerba mate is a source of the drink called mate that is popular in Spain and Portugal. This plant is referred to by several names like chimarrao in Portuguese. Central and southern regions of America are no strangers to this healthy drink, while the Druze community in Lebanon swears by Yerba mate.
The drink is prepared by filling a gourd or a container with dry leaves or twigs of the plant. Hot water is added to this mixture and depending on personal choice, sugar is added.
When you drink mate with your circle of friends, the custom remains that the gourd is refilled each time and passed along to the next person. It not good practice to break the queue and drink the mate out of turn.
Benefits Of Yerba Mate
This healthy drink is a powerhouse of polyphenols, xanthines, and minerals like potassium, manganese, and magnesium. Some of the health benefits of this drink include:
· Kills Cancerous Cells: Studies have shown that the anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties of the drink are beneficial in preventing colon cancer. The caffeoylquinic acid or CQA killed the cancer cells due to apoptosis.
· Boosts Immunity: Apart from polyphenols, this healthy drink contains phytochemicals called saponins that help lower cholesterol levels in the blood. Studies have shown that Yerba mate boosts the immune system.
· The powerhouse of nutrients: Yerba mate is loaded with calcium, iron, phosphorus, and zinc. Other health-promoting substances like antioxidants, tannins, and amino acids are present.
· Lowers Cholesterol Levels: Yerba mate lowers the levels of “bad cholesterol” or LDL, subsequently reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
· Weight Loss: The leaves and twigs of the drink are high in ursolic acid and oleanolic acid glycosides. These are essential in promoting healthy weight loss.
· Yerba Mate is known to reduce high blood pressure and type II diabetes in humans.
Meanwhile, here are some of the benefits of coffee:
· Drinking coffee temporarily stimulates the brain and gives you a “feel good” factor.
· Caffeic acid and chlorogenic acid found in coffee help lower LDL.
· Coffee is known to prevent the onset of type II diabetes and helps maintain glucose levels in the body.
· After a heavy meal, drink coffee for better digestion.
We already have a clear winner, looking at the immense benefits that Yerba mate offers. While you are ordering your favorite latte or a regular cup of coffee, switch over to Yerba mate and enjoy the health benefits.